The area north of Atlanta, Georgia, known as Sandy Springs was named for actual springs currently protected for their historical significance. Settlement in the region known as Sandy Springs dates to 400 A.D., and it was inhabited by Creeks and Cherokees in the 1500s. Today the springs continue to produce ten gallons of water per minute. This area was initially traveled by buffalo, Native Americans, and then British traders. It later became a major migration trail for Colonial Europeans. The freshwater springs which bubbled from the sandy ground and sustained life for the earliest inhabitants are today located behind the Williams-Payne House on Sandy Springs Circle, Sandy Springs, Georgia.
During the 16th century the Creek Muskogee Tribe settled in the Sandy Springs area. This location, No Man’s Land, was well-suited for villagers because of the abundant rivers, woodlands, springs, and wildlife. A heavily traveled area, the Sandy Springs site became a trading post to sustain the early Creek Muskogee population. When gold was discovered, the Treaty of Indian Spring forced the Native Americans to cede their land to the government.
In 1821, with the onset of Land Lotteries, this rich soil was developed into a farming community. In the Land Lottery of 1825, James Wilbourn of Greene County paid the grant fee of $19.00 for Land Lot #88. His original Lot #88 consisting of 202.5 acres is considered the heart of Sandy Springs.
In 1966 an impressive bid for freedom started as a grass roots effort to defeat annexation by the city of Atlanta. This successful campaign resulted in the formation of a new city. Sandy Springs is now Georgia’s 7th largest city with an estimated population of 85,000. It was incorporated in December 2005 after more than thirty years of persistent legal and political maneuvering by its staunch residents. With the steadfast leadership of Eva Galambos, its citizens fought for the right to break from Fulton County and for their right to more effectively administer their own services and uphold their quality of life. An overwhelming 94% of the residents voting on June 21, 2005, favored incorporation. In November 2005 Eva Galambos was easily elected to be the first Mayor of the new city of Sandy Springs.
This area of historical significance was chosen as the namesake for a new DAR chapter. Sandy Springs Chapter, Sandy Springs, Georgia, with 28 organizing members, was confirmed by the National Board of Management on 3 February 2007. The organizing meeting was held at the Cherokee Country Club, Sandy Springs, Georgia with Mrs. E. Lynn Brackey, Organizing Regent, presiding.